I have adored ice cream from childhood. I have always wanted to make ice cream at home so that I can have rich and creamy ice cream whenever I wanted it. Store bought ice cream is never satisfying as it has a lot of air in it, and it isn’t the all that healthy due to the added colouring, preservatives, stabilisers, etc. I came across a recipe in Hershey’s Chocolate and Cocoa Cookbook, but it used ingredients that are not available in India. I have modified that recipe extensively to adapt it to what is easily available in Indian stores. It is a very easy and simple recipe that uses only 4 store bought ingredients and is also vegetarian.
This chocolate ice cream is a high energy product. The condensed milk provides a large amount of sugar and together with the cocoa provides good quality protein. The additional bonus is the iron from the cocoa. On the flip side, the cocoa contains caffeine, and, therefore, those with sleep disorders should avoid chocolate ice cream as a dinner dessert as the caffeine will keep them awake.
- 2/3 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 Condensed Milk Tins (Milkmaid or Mithai Mate)
- 1 L Fresh Cream (Amul)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2/3 C Water
- Boil the water in a small saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add the cocoa. Stir and blend well.
- Place the condensed milk and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa and blend using a wire whisk.
- Pour the fresh cream into the bowl and blend again till even the tiny blobs of cream disappear. Wait till it comes to room temperature.
- Pour into ice cream containers until they are half to three fourths full (to leave room for expansion during freezing).
- Close and freeze.
- If you’re using cream from a carton, you will need to shake the carton well to remove lumps.
- Do not buy cartons kept in refrigerators in the store. It is very difficult to remove the lumps from refrigerated cream.