The typical vegetarian cutlet available in Tamil Nadu has a very firm outer surface with a very spicy mix inside, which I dislike. We used to make the traditional spicy type in the WCC cookery lab when I was a student, which is where I learnt the concept of using rice flour as a coating. I was convinced that I could make a better cutlet which wouldn’t assault my taste buds. I developed this recipe once I retired – better late than never 🙂 – to have a tasty yet mild flavour, with a thin crust to make it easy for children and elders to eat.
This cutlet is unique in that no eggs are used to either bind the mix or coat the cutlet. This makes it a vegetarian treat that can be served along with meals or as a snack along with tea, and even with a packed lunch.
The potatoes, carrots, and peas supply only a moderate amount of energy, but the peas and carrots provide a large amount of beta carotene and vitamin C. Though the cutlets are shallow fried, frying in a non-stick pan makes them easier to cook using a very small amount of oil. Thus, this is a low calorie and low fat vegetarian snack/side dish that can be eaten by all 🙂
- 5 large Potatoes, pared and cubed
- ¾ C Green Peas, shelled
- ¾ C Carrots, diced
- 2 Green Chillies, deseeded and diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 cm piece Ginger, grated
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder
- 2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- ½ C Rice Flour
- Vegetable Oil, for shallow frying
- Water for cooking vegetables
- Boil the potatoes in 1 cup of water. Drain and mash while the potatoes are still hot.
- Boil the carrots and peas in ½ cup of water to which ½ teaspoon of salt is added. Drain and cool.
- Mix the mashed potatoes, vegetables, onion, green chilli, ginger, and pepper powder. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Shape the mix into small cylinders. Roll in the rice flour and arrange on a plate.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Shallow fry the cutlets the cutlets 3 or 4 at a time. Very carefully turn over the cutlets and fry.
- Remove and serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- If you wish to pressure cook or boil the potatoes in their skin, peel the skin and mash while the potatoes are still very hot. Cooled boiled potatoes mash into lumps.
- You may increase the green chillies if you wish to have spicier cutlets. I prefer to serve milder tasting cutlets which will complement other dishes.
- The vegetables must be drained thoroughly after cooking. Excess water in the mix will make the cutlets fragile as no eggs are added to bind the mix.